[gmx-users] Turn on/off residues in gromacs

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Oct 22 14:11:37 CEST 2018

On 10/22/18 7:29 AM, Quyen Vu Van wrote:
> Dear all,
> sorry for my unclear question,
> I attached here the quick draw picture of what I am saying, please take a
> look: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eycsm3qsywhgxjv/model.pdf?dl=0

What you are trying to do is both technically challenging and physically
questionable. The free energy options allow you to modulate the
interactions of a [moleculetype] with the remainder of the system; you
can't easily decompose individual residues of a protein, which is part
of a single [moleculetype]. You could manually define A- and B- states
in the topology and there are various tools to do that.

The bigger problem is, even if you accomplish what you seek in terms of
the technical setup, it's physically unrealistic. As Mark noted, you
have an unsatisfied valence at the C-terminus of each residue at each
interval of time. This is not physically real, as amino acids are simply
transferred between tRNA and onto the growing polypeptide chain. Simply
"growing" residues onto the chain will not come close to mimicking
protein synthesis in any meaningful way.

-Justin

> Thank you and best regards,
> Quyen
>
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 6:27 AM Quyen Vu Van <vuqv.phys at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear Mark,
>> I mean that e.g my protein has 10 residues in pdb file but at t=0, Gromacs
>> will only calculate the interactions of all atoms in residue 1
>> t= 1ns (for example) Gromacs will calculate the interactions of all atoms
>> in residues 1 and 2, and so on till t= XXX ns, interactions of all atoms of
>> full protein is take into account.
>> Best regards,
>> Quyen
>>

>> On Fri, Oct 19, 2018, 18:42 Mark Abraham <mark.j.abraham at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> What do you mean by turning a residue off? What would terminate the
>>> chemical bond to the residue that it was bound to?
>>>
>>> Mark

>>> process

>>> --
>>>
>>> * Please search the archive at