[gmx-users] Simulated tempering

Gregory Man Kai Poon gpoon at gsu.edu
Wed Oct 24 18:27:21 CEST 2018

Hi all,

I am attempting to do simulated tempering on GROMACS 2016.3.  In my
preliminary googling, I have found several questions from different
people on the procedure in the past few years but unfortunately without
response.  I have read up on the literature on the few papers that
described ST with GROMACS, but have not had much success with the
authors.  From studying the mdp options, it appears that ST is handled
under the general umbrella of expanded ensemble simulations.  I am
therefore hopeful that I could learn from those of you who may not be
doing ST, but are using related mdp options and are willing to help me out.

Specifically, I am looking for how to extract the updated weights used
to determine the Metropolis transitions in the MC moves.  I can get
information such as temperature and lambda in gmx energy, and
kinetic/potential energy and dH from the output md.xvg.  I've looked in
md.log.  However, I can't find where the weights are stored.

I would also be thankful for any links on ST with GROMACS that I have
missed.

Best wishes,

Gregory