[gmx-users] Crystal Surfaces in GROMACS

Alex nedomacho at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 23:24:20 CET 2018

Hi,

There are two main reasons there aren't any serious tutorials: first,
Gromacs wasn't originally intended for this type of simulations and second,
it's not clear what such a tutorial would describe. If you have a suitable
interaction model for the material you'd like to simulate, the "usual"
rules (box dimensions commensurate with PBC for a given crystal structure,
careful relaxation procedures, thermostat/barostat considerations, etc) of
solid-state simulations apply, i.e. there isn't anything terribly specific
to representing any such systems in Gromacs, given that it remains a very
well designed general MD tool to work with non-reactive systems. We've used
Gromacs to simulate 2D materials in aqueous environment, maybe they could
be helpful:

https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlehtml/2016/nr/c5nr07061a
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acsnano.6b05274
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acsnano.8b01692

For polymers, it would similarly hinge on the existence of a forcefield and
if it doesn't exist, well, you will have to develop it. ;) If the processes
of interest involve reactive forcefields (i.e. covalent bonds get broken
and created), then you need another MD package, e.g., LAMMPS.

Hope this helps.

Alex