[gmx-users] electric field amplitude of a photon

Alex nedomacho at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 10:22:01 CEST 2018

Hi all,

Gromacs manual section 6.7 refers to this paper:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/anie.200703987 so I
guess my question is for David.

What is unclear is how the electric field amplitudes were estimated
(text below Eq. 1). I mean, we can of course get something like sqrt[
I/(eps_0 x c)] (it also seems there might be a typo in the left column
of p. 1417 of the paper -- there should not be 1/2, if one includes the
energy of the magnetic field to actually equate the E_0-based value to
the total intensity).

That possible typo aside, is that where the values of E_0 came from?
Granted, all of this is very approximate, trying to mimic quantum
physics with a painfully classical picture, but for consistency and so I
could properly cite this work if needed, it might be useful to know how
these values were calculated. My case is non-pulsed, but that's irrelevant.

Thanks!

Alex