[gmx-users] Workstation choice

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 01:29:22 CEST 2018

BTW, I'd recommend caution when using the dated d.dppc benchmark for
drawing performance conclusions both because it may not be too
representative of other workloads (small size, peculiar settings) and
because it uses all-bonds constrained with 2fs time step which is not
recommended these days (unless using larger time steps). Constraining only
h-bonds is generally considered best practice and it is faster, especially
with GPUs.

I'd also like to warn about drawing conclusions about hypothetical
production setups from performance measurements with under-utilized CPUs.
Leaving cores empty creates conditions which are not representative to
real-world scenarios (unless of course you plan to leave those core empty
during production runs too). The least I'd do is to put some CPU load on
those cores (e.g. on an 8-core CPU run mdrun on 4 cores + 1 GPU and keep
the other 4 cores busy with some dummy load like a stress tester tool or a
CPU-only mdrun run).

--
Szilárd