[gmx-users] Justin paper 2010 pulling

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Sep 17 13:48:37 CEST 2018

On 9/17/18 4:52 AM, Rakesh Mishra wrote:
> Agreed.
>
> But, I could not solve.
>   So Justin, If I pull 3' end of one strand of DNA by taking as
> 3' end of the complimentary strand as a reference group (Note that
> I have not fixed or not made it immobile ) then according to the theory of
> newtons third law reference group (which is not immobile or not fixed )
> will get
> same equal and opposite pull and will move in the opposite direction.
> am I correct.

You set two groups that define a vector along which a biasing potential
is applied. The net displacement of either of those groups (or any other
atoms in the system) is a function of the total force acting on all of
the atoms. Newtonian mechanics always apply, but it's not as simple as
"pull on X, and Y moves." Your system evolves under the influence of the
biasing force.

Your results are probably somewhat confounded by the fact that you're
pulling along a vector that is oblique to both the helical axis and the
hydrogen-bonding plane. It's not trivial to apply forces to duplex DNA,
so judicious choice of pulling vector is critical.

-Justin