[gmx-users] Justin paper 2010 pulling

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Sep 17 14:30:44 CEST 2018

On 9/17/18 8:25 AM, Rakesh Mishra wrote:
> Agreed with this
>
> "Newtonian mechanics always apply, but it's not as simple as "pull on X,
> and Y moves." Your system evolves under the influence of the biasing force."

Perhaps my nomenclature was bad here - X and Y are not Cartesian
directions, they are the groups that you're specifying in the .mdp file
that define the vector of the pulling force.

> The same I am saying that on  Pulling X, X will fell equal and opposite but
> not Y and  Z.

Correct.

> Meaning ,
> If 3' of one strand will Pull  along X then 3' (reference group , which is
> not fixed )of complimentary strand  will move opposite along X . while Y
> and  Z
> those where no biasing force are applied, so Y and Z are  free to move in
> random (any direction ).
>

> Simple representation form your tutorial like.
> In my thinking in this following protocol r_24 and r_12 will move
> oppositely along X direction. But not Y and Z.

The problem here is the the groups *will not* necessarily "move
oppositely along X." Your biasing force causes a net increase in the
length of the vector connecting r_12 and r_24. That's it. Perhaps that
means one group moves and the other oscillates in place. Maybe they do,
in fact, move in different directions. The net motion of any group
depends on all of the forces in the system. Maybe your biasing potential
causes a local helical unwinding, allowing water to enter in between the
bases or the hydrogen bonding structure changes, which then causes
different diffusion in any dimension. But the biasing force only ever
applies along X.

-Justin