[gmx-users] problem

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Sep 22 13:49:45 CEST 2018

On 9/22/18 2:31 AM, Alex wrote:
> Actually, I'd like to know, too. I keep seeing this warning for systems
> that are fully described in their topologies and all parameters
> appropriately present in ffnonbonded, etc, i.e. everything passes grompp
> and runs perfectly fine. I never really paid much attention to this
> warning, thinking that gmx solvate has its own way of looking things up
> elsewhere, but an explanation would be nice. I searched the list, but only
> found reference to the -shell option, which I am not using.
>
> What's happening?

This generic warning shows up for any program that uses atomic radii but
has not been provided a .tpr file, which contains unambiguous masses and
atom types. The warning just alerts the user to the possibility that
something strange might happen when guessing what an atom is based
solely on its name. For example, "CA" is often the alpha-carbon in
proteins, but could it be a calcium ion in some cases? Similarly, is
"HG" a hydrogen at the gamma-position or is it mercury?

-Justin

Assistant Professor

303 Engel Hall
340 West Campus Dr.