[gmx-users] Error in NVT equilibration

Gonzalez Fernandez, Cristina cristina.gonzalezfdez at unican.es
Mon Sep 24 12:46:21 CEST 2018

Hi Justin,

Thank you very much for your suggestions, I ran the equilibration!

After running the equilibration, I tabulated the temperature with time, and at time=0 the temperature is 277.73 K and at time=1ps the temperature is 294.03. The initial temperature is enough similar (I think) to the considered one. However, the temperature at 1ps is lower than the stated one (298K) in the annealing settings (and therefore at 0.134 ps the temperature is lower than 294 K instead of 298K).

I copy the .mdp file in case you can detect the errors in this file, as I have been looking for the annealing settings in the GROMACS manual and in previous posts and I don't find what is wrong.

title                   = Lipid NVT equilibration
define                  = -DPOSRES  ; position restrain the lipid
; Run parameters
integrator              = md        ; leap-frog integrator
nsteps                  = 50000     ; 2 * 50000 = 100 ps
dt                      = 0.002     ; 2 fs
; Output control
nstxout                 = 500       ; save coordinates every 1.0 ps
nstvout                 = 500       ; save velocities every 1.0 ps
nstenergy               = 500       ; save energies every 1.0 ps
nstlog                  = 500       ; update log file every 1.0 ps
; Bond parameters
continuation            = no        ; first dynamics run
constraint_algorithm    = lincs     ; holonomic constraints
constraints             = all-bonds   ; bonds involving H are constrained
;shake_tol              = 0.0001
lincs_iter            = 1            ; accuracy of LINCS
lincs_order            = 4            ; also related to accuracy
; Nonbonded settings
cutoff-scheme           = Verlet    ; Buffered neighbor searching
ns_type                 = grid      ; search neighboring grid cells
nstlist                 = 10        ; 20 fs, largely irrelevant with Verlet
rlist                   = 1.4
rcoulomb                = 1.4       ; short-range electrostatic cutoff (in nm)
rvdw                    = 1.4       ; short-range van der Waals cutoff (in nm)
DispCorr                = EnerPres  ; account for cut-off vdW scheme
vdwtype                 = Cut-off
vdw_modifier            = Potential-shift-Verlet
rvdw_switch             = 1
; Electrostatics
coulombtype             = PME       ; Particle Mesh Ewald for long-range electrostatics
ewald-rtol              = 1e-6
pme_order               = 4         ; cubic interpolation
fourierspacing          = 0.16      ; grid spacing for FFT
coulomb_modifier        = Potential-shift-Verlet
; Temperature coupling is on
tcoupl                  = V-rescale             ; modified Berendsen thermostat
tc-grps                 = System   ; two coupling groups - more accurate
tau_t                   = 0.1               ; time constant, in ps
ref_t                   = 298               ; reference temperature, one for each group, in K
; Pressure coupling is off
pcoupl                  = no        ; no pressure coupling in NVT
; Periodic boundary conditions
pbc                     = xyz       ; 3-D PBC
; Velocity generation
gen_vel                 = yes       ; assign velocities from Maxwell distribution
gen_temp                = 278       ; temperature for Maxwell distribution
gen_seed                = -1        ; generate a random seed
;Simulated annealing
annealing               = single
annealing_npoints       = 2
annealing_time          = 0 0.134
annealing_temp          = 278 298

If I have understood correctly from previous posts, gen_temp must be equal to the lower annealing temperature (in this case 278K) and the ref_t must be equal to the highest annealing temperature (in this case 298 K), is it correct?

Thak you for all your help,

C.