[gmx-users] Installation with CUDA on Debian / gcc 6+

Jochen Hub jhub at gwdg.de
Mon Apr 1 16:33:28 CEST 2019

Hi all,

we try to install Gromacs with CUDA support on a Debian system. Cuda
complains about the gcc 6.30 naively installed on Debian, since Cuda
supports gcc only until gcc 5.

The problem is that Debian removed packages for gcc-5, so installing an
older gcc is more tedious.

We understand that CUDA support for gcc strongly depends on the Linux
Distribution, see

https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-installation-guide-linux/index.html

Therefore: Is there any workaround to compile Gromacs with CUDA under
Debian with a gcc 6+ ?

Thanks a lot,
Jochen

Dr. Jochen Hub
Computational Molecular Biophysics Group
Institute for Microbiology and Genetics
Georg-August-University of Göttingen
Justus-von-Liebig-Weg 11, 37077 Göttingen, Germany.
Phone: +49-551-39-14189
http://cmb.bio.uni-goettingen.de/