[gmx-users] Installation with CUDA on Debian / gcc 6+

Jochen Hub jhub at gwdg.de
Mon Apr 1 17:08:13 CEST 2019

Hi Åke,

ah, thanks, we had indeed a CUDA 8.0 on our Debian. So we'll try to
install CUA 10.1.

But as a side question: Doesn't the supported gcc version strongly
depend on the Linux distribution, see here:

https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-installation-guide-linux/index.html

Thanks,
Jochen

Am 01.04.19 um 16:52 schrieb Åke Sandgren:
> Use a newer version of CUDA?
>
> CUDA 10.1 supports GCC 8.
>
> On 4/1/19 4:33 PM, Jochen Hub wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> we try to install Gromacs with CUDA support on a Debian system. Cuda
>> complains about the gcc 6.30 naively installed on Debian, since Cuda
>> supports gcc only until gcc 5.
>>
>> The problem is that Debian removed packages for gcc-5, so installing an
>> older gcc is more tedious.
>>
>> We understand that CUDA support for gcc strongly depends on the Linux
>> Distribution, see
>>
>> https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-installation-guide-linux/index.html
>>
>> Therefore: Is there any workaround to compile Gromacs with CUDA under
>> Debian with a gcc 6+ ?
>>
>> Thanks a lot,
>> Jochen

Dr. Jochen Hub
Computational Molecular Biophysics Group
Institute for Microbiology and Genetics
Georg-August-University of Göttingen
Justus-von-Liebig-Weg 11, 37077 Göttingen, Germany.
Phone: +49-551-39-14189
http://cmb.bio.uni-goettingen.de/