[gmx-users] Installation with CUDA on Debian / gcc 6+

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 18:29:10 CEST 2019

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 5:08 PM Jochen Hub <jhub at gwdg.de> wrote:

> Hi Åke,
>
> ah, thanks, we had indeed a CUDA 8.0 on our Debian. So we'll try to
> install CUA 10.1.
>
> But as a side question: Doesn't the supported gcc version strongly
> depend on the Linux distribution, see here:
>
> https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-installation-guide-linux/index.html

On paper yes in practice not so much.

The officially listed "qualified" combinations are not strict (and hard)
requirement-combinations; as long as the CUDA dkms compiles for your kernel
and the nvcc works with the gcc compiler you provide it, things will
generally work. Kernels or compilers shipped by a distro can deviate enough
from others that issues may arise, but those cases are not overly common
(as far as I know, though admittedly I don't maintain diverse
infrastructure).

By the way, your distro is not "qualified" at all ;)

--
Szilárd

Thanks,