[gmx-users] Purpose of repeated improper dihedrals

Dawid das addiw7 at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 2 14:59:18 CEST 2019

Thank you for an asnwer. However, I still need to ask more.
So, let's take this time the
NR1  CPH1  CPH2  H
NR1  CPH2  CPH1  H

example. For such quartets,  the improper dihedral parameters are defined
for HSD residue.
Now, the bonding is as follows in part of HSD:

        NR1
      /        \
 CPH1    CPH2

In my top file generated with pdb2gmx I can see the improper dihedral
entries for both
NR1  CPH1  CPH2  H
NR1  CPH2  CPH1  H
Also after dumping the tpr file I can see IDIHS entries for both
arrangement of atoms for the same molecule.

According to Gromacs manual, the entry for improper dihedral i j k l is
understood as follows

      /   \
    j      k

So maybe I'm blind but I still don't really understand  the purpose of
changing the middle atom types
if there is in fact only one way these four atoms are connected in HSD. The
only reason I see is to
make it more rigid because I have "doubled" improper.

Best regards,
Dawid Grabarek