[gmx-users] simulation on 2 gpus

Stefano Guglielmo stefano.guglielmo at unito.it
Tue Aug 20 15:28:30 CEST 2019

Dear Szilard,

thanks for the very clear answer.
Following your suggestion I tried to run without DD; for the same system I
run two simulations on two gpus:

gmx mdrun -deffnm run -nb gpu -pme gpu -ntomp 28 -ntmpi 1 -npme 0
-gputasks 00 -pin on -pinoffset 0 -pinstride 1

gmx mdrun -deffnm run2 -nb gpu -pme gpu -ntomp 28 -ntmpi 1 -npme 0
-gputasks 11 -pin on -pinoffset 28 -pinstride 1

but again the system crashed; with this I mean that after few minutes the
machine goes off (power off) without any error message, even without using
all the threads.

I then tried running the two simulations on the same gpu without DD:

gmx mdrun -deffnm run -nb gpu -pme gpu -ntomp 28 -ntmpi 1 -npme 0
-gputasks 00 -pin on -pinoffset 0 -pinstride 1

gmx mdrun -deffnm run2 -nb gpu -pme gpu -ntomp 28 -ntmpi 1 -npme 0
-gputasks 00 -pin on -pinoffset 28 -pinstride 1

and I obtained better performance (about 70 ns/day) with a massive use of
the gpu (around 90%), comparing to the two runs on two gpus I reported in
the previous post
(gmx mdrun -deffnm run -nb gpu -pme gpu -ntomp 4 -ntmpi 7 -npme 1 -gputasks
0000000 -pin on -pinoffset 0 -pinstride 1
 gmx mdrun -deffnm run2 -nb gpu -pme gpu -ntomp 4 -ntmpi 7 -npme 1
-gputasks 1111111 -pin on -pinoffset 28 -pinstride 1).

As for pinning, cpu topology according to log file is:
hardware topology: Basic
    Sockets, cores, and logical processors:
      Socket  0: [   0  32] [   1  33] [   2  34] [   3  35] [   4  36] [
5  37] [   6  38] [   7  39] [  16  48] [  17  49] [  18  50] [  19  51] [
 20  52] [  21  53] [  22  54] [  23  55] [   8  40] [   9  41] [  10  42]
[  11  43] [  12  44] [  13  45] [  14  46] [  15  47] [  24  56] [  25
 57] [  26  58] [  27  59] [  28  60] [  29  61] [  30  62] [  31  63]
If I understand well (absolutely not sure) it should not be that convenient
to pin to consecutive threads, and indeed I found a subtle degradation of
performance for a single simulation, switching from:
gmx mdrun -deffnm run -nb gpu -pme gpu -ntomp 28 -ntmpi 1 -npme 0 -gputasks
00 -pin on
gmx mdrun -deffnm run -nb gpu -pme gpu -ntomp 28 -ntmpi 1 -npme 0 -gputasks
00 -pin on -pinoffset 0 -pinstride 1.

Thanks again
Stefano