[gmx-users] how we can add these ions depends on precise physiological concentration?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Jan 5 15:22:43 CET 2019

On 1/5/19 8:17 AM, milad bagheri wrote:
> Dear researcher
> As we know, we add only specific ions including Na and Cl to simulation box
> for conducting molecular dynamics simulation. The question is raised is why
> we don't add other ions to simulation box that are existed in the cell
> environment, for example, phosphate or potassium?
> It is reasonable if we add all the ions to MD box? If your answer is yes,
> how we can add these ions depends on precise physiological concentration?
> best Regards

There are two main issues here. Most species are at concentrations so
low that you may only have one ion floating around in your box, and it
will be impossible to obtain ergodic sampling of that ion. If you want
more ions, you'll have to expand to huge, impractical boxes to encompass
enough volume.

The second issue is that most additive force fields are insufficiently
accurate to distinguish the effects of different ions, e.g. I wouldn't
expect success if someone tried to compare the effects of one Ca2+ ion
against one Mg2+ ion (which would be a likely scenario in most
biomolecular MD). The force field representations just aren't precise
enough.

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall