[gmx-users] Results of villin headpiece with AMD 8 core

paul buscemi pbuscemi at q.com
Fri Jan 11 23:19:37 CET 2019

Dear M,

Yup the timestep is enormous, but the Gromacs demo used 0.005 ns.  At that point the 2700 and the Ti started flinging waters molecules off into the ozone. For the very short runs at 0.005 ~1400 ns/day was being hit.  Usually the ts I use  is 0.002

Getting the ion and SOL concentration correct in the top is trickier ( for me ) than it should have been,   If you happen to  reuse  both  solvate and genion during  the build  keeping track of the top is like using a digital rubics cube..!  The charge  the villin was +1 because after I downloaded it from the pdb I removed all other water and ions - it just made pdb2gmx easier to work with.

 Interesting  that while adjusting ntmpi and ntomp made some difference the biggest influence came from rvdw, r coulomb cutoffs ,and rvwd-switch. They are apparently coupled in some manner. I was went as far as rvdw of 1.6 with much worse results. But not much is said about these parameters as compared to setting mpi and threads in regard to efficiency.  But this is just my inexperience showing

The 1080 scaled nicely with the 1080 ti,  these are really nice pieces of hardware. and you are correct, given the choice of increased processors vs  faster processors - choose the latter. I have the AMD OC to 4.0 GH and it runs the same model almost as fast as as 32 core AMD at 3.7 GHz.

I've run 300k DPPC models ( ~300 DPPC molecules ) and they run at ~15 ns/day in NPT.  And yes,  if you can send the pdb, top, and itps I’t would be interesting to compare the two AMDs.

Best
Paul