[gmx-users] gmx 2019 performance issues

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 20:14:34 CET 2019

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 1:30 PM Tamas Hegedus <tamas at hegelab.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I do not really see an increased performance with gmx 2019 using -bonded
> gpu. I do not see what I miss or misunderstand.
> The only thing I see that all cpu run at ~100% with gmx2018, while some
> of the cpus run only at ~60% with gmx2019.

GPUs aren't necessarily faster than CPUs, in particular as GROMACS has fast
CPU code for all compute-intensive algorithms. When your CPU is
sufficiently fast to complete the bonded computation before the GPU is done
with the rest (and that is generally the if there are at least 3-4
cores/GPU), it is normal that you do not see improvement from offloading
that task to the GPU. Consequently, you could even see slight performance
degradation in such cases with -bonded gpu vs -bonded cpu.

One benefit can of course be the lower CPU requirement which means you
might be able to run two runs side-by-side using half of the CPU cores each
using 1-2 GPUs.