[gmx-users] Doubts regarding gen-seed, ld-seed and .cpt file.

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 10:29:14 CET 2019

Hi,

On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 at 10:22 Maity, Sayan <s.maity at jacobs-university.de>
wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>

> So basically, in order to reproduce the simulation, I need to fix both
> seed numbers in the .mdp file right ...??

No, I said the seeds were fixed *after* you run grompp. That is, the .tpr
is in principle reproducible, caveat the usual things
http://manual.gromacs.org/current/user-guide/managing-simulations.html#reproducibility.
That's because the velocities have already been generated (if requested
with gen-vel, and so gen-seed is then irrelevant), and ld-seed has a
definite value (as you can see with gmx dump, or in the subsequent mdrun
log file).

> However, I can find the ld-seed number from the .log file but I didn't
> find any gen-seed number. So in which file I could get the gen-seed number
> if the previous simulation was done considering gen-seed=-1....??

grompp reported it in its terminal output. But you never need it again.

Another question is that,

> Is ld-seed number is also taking random velocity from Boltzmann
> distribution...?

No, some algorithm that you haven't mentioned may be using numbers from a
random number generator that was seeded with that value :-)

So, if gen-seeds are same but ld-seeds are different, can I call it as a
> different simulation for the same starting structure...?

The trajectories will diverge soon.

Mark