[gmx-users] Flat-bottomed Restrain

Salman Zarrini salman.zarrini at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 17:05:06 CEST 2019

Hi Ehsan,

Here is how I understood and would implement the flat-bottom potential;

Just suppose you intend to confine a molecule with five atoms in a cylinder
with radius of *\rho = 1.500* nm and axes positioned at *x = 3.000 and y =
3.000 nm* parallel to the Z.
First you need a posre.rho.itp in which the restrain's properties are
defined;
posre.rho.itp
;Z - Cylinder:
[ position_restraints ]
; i funct   g_z    \rho(nm)   K(kJ mol-1 nm-2)
  1   2      8       *1.500*       3500
  2   2      8       *1.500*       3500
  3   2      8       *1.500*       3500
  4   2      8       *1.500*       3500
  5   2      8       *1.500*       3500

Similar to all other restrains the posre.rho.itp should come in the end of
[moleculetype] section of the desired molecule, for instance using #ifdef
... #endif to be called later in mdp file.

You still need one more file to be fed to grompp using -r as reference
positions, as Mark pointed out;
;reference.gro
Reference
*127972*
   1AMNA   H14    *1*   *3.000   3.000*   4.325   ;(no confinement along
the Z)
   1AMNA   C11    *2*   *3.000   3.000*   3.789
   1AMNA   H12    *3*   *3.000   3.000*   2.405
   1AMNA   H13    *4*   *3.000   3.000*   5.608
   1AMNA   C10    *5*   *3.000   3.000*   4.390
   ... (rest of the unrestrained atoms)
   ... (rest of the unrestrained atoms)
   ... (rest of the unrestrained atoms)
   ... (rest of the unrestrained atoms)