[gmx-users] decreased performance with free energy

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 15:18:00 CEST 2019

David,

Yes, it is greatly affected. The standard interaction kernels are very
fast, but the free energy kernels are known to not be as efficient as they
could and the larger the fraction of atoms involved in perturbed
interactions the more this work dominates the runtime.

If you are trying to set up production runs on this specific
hardware/software combination that you ran the tests on? There are a few
things you could try to get a bit better performance, but details may
depend on hardware software.

Expect major improvements in the upcoming release, we are doing some
thorough rework/optimization of the free energy kernels.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd