[gmx-users] Xeon Gold + RTX 5000

Michael Williams michael.r.c.williams at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 16:20:52 CEST 2019

Hi Szilárd,

Thanks for the interesting observations on recent hardware. I was wondering if you could comment on the use of somewhat older server cpus and motherboards (versus more cutting edge consumer parts). I recently noticed that Haswell era Xeon cpus (E5 v3) are quite affordable now (~$400 for 12 core models with 40 pcie lanes) and so are the corresponding 2 cpu socket server motherboards. Of course the RAM is slower than what can be used with the latest Ryzen or i7/i9 cpus. Are there any other bottlenecks with this somewhat older server hardware that I might not be aware of? Thanks again for the interesting information and practical advice on this topic.

Mike