[gmx-users] performance issues running gromacs with more than 1 gpu card in slurm

Carlos Navarro carlos.navarro87 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 01:34:30 CEST 2019

No one can give me an idea of what can be happening? Or how I can solve it?
Best regards,
Carlos

——————
Carlos Navarro Retamal
Bioinformatic Engineering. PhD.
Postdoctoral Researcher in Center of Bioinformatics and Molecular
Simulations
Universidad de Talca
Av. Lircay S/N, Talca, Chile
E: carlos.navarro87 at gmail.com or cnavarro at utalca.cl

On July 19, 2019 at 2:20:41 PM, Carlos Navarro (carlos.navarro87 at gmail.com)
wrote:

Dear gmx-users,
I’m currently working in a server where each node posses 40 physical cores
(40 threads) and 4 Nvidia-V100.
When I launch a single job (1 simulation using a single gpu card) I get a
performance of about ~35ns/day in a system of about 300k atoms. Looking
into the usage of the video card during the simulation I notice that the
card is being used about and ~80%.
The problems arise when I increase the number of jobs running at the same
time. If for instance 2 jobs are running at the same time, the performance
drops to ~25ns/day each and the usage of the video cards also drops during
the simulation to about a ~30-40% (and sometimes dropping to less than 5%).
Clearly there is a communication problem between the gpu cards and the cpu
during the simulations, but I don’t know how to solve this.
Here is the script I use to run the simulations:

#!/bin/bash -x
#SBATCH --job-name=testAtTPC1
#SBATCH --ntasks-per-node=4
#SBATCH --cpus-per-task=20
#SBATCH --account=hdd22
#SBATCH --nodes=1
#SBATCH --mem=0
#SBATCH --output=sout.%j
#SBATCH --error=s4err.%j
#SBATCH --time=00:10:00
#SBATCH --partition=develgpus
#SBATCH --gres=gpu:4

module use /gpfs/software/juwels/otherstages
module load Stages/2018b
module load Intel/2019.0.117-GCC-7.3.0
module load IntelMPI/2019.0.117
module load GROMACS/2018.3

WORKDIR1=/p/project/chdd22/gromacs/benchmark/AtTPC1/singlegpu/1
WORKDIR2=/p/project/chdd22/gromacs/benchmark/AtTPC1/singlegpu/2
WORKDIR3=/p/project/chdd22/gromacs/benchmark/AtTPC1/singlegpu/3
WORKDIR4=/p/project/chdd22/gromacs/benchmark/AtTPC1/singlegpu/4

DO_PARALLEL=" srun --exclusive -n 1 --gres=gpu:1 "
EXE=" gmx mdrun "

cd $WORKDIR1
$DO_PARALLEL $EXE -s eq6.tpr -deffnm eq6-20 -nmpi 1 -pin on -pinoffset 0
-ntomp 20 &>log &
cd $WORKDIR2
$DO_PARALLEL $EXE -s eq6.tpr -deffnm eq6-20 -nmpi 1 -pin on -pinoffset 10
-ntomp 20 &>log &
cd $WORKDIR3
$DO_PARALLEL $EXE -s eq6.tpr -deffnm eq6-20  -nmpi 1 -pin on -pinoffset 20
-ntomp 20 &>log &
cd $WORKDIR4
$DO_PARALLEL $EXE -s eq6.tpr -deffnm eq6-20 -nmpi 1 -pin on -pinoffset 30
-ntomp 20 &>log &

Regarding to pinoffset, I first tried using 20 cores for each job but then
also tried with 8 cores (so pinoffset 0 for job 1, pinoffset 4 for job 2,
pinoffset 8 for job 3 and pinoffset 12 for job) but at the end the problem
persist.

Currently in this machine I’m not able to use more than 1 gpu per job, so
this is my only choice to use properly the whole node.
If you need more information please just let me know.
Best regards.
Carlos

——————
E: carlos.navarro87 at gmail.com or cnavarro at utalca.cl