[gmx-users] GROMACS Output Timestep Changes Over a Long, Check-pointed Simulation

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 16:40:46 CEST 2019

Hi,

The simulation is 100% fine. Many of the tools (and their implementations)
date from earlier eras where so many time steps were simply impossible, and
some of what they do with handling time (as a floating-point number)
doesn't work well. Once you have about 7 significant digits in the time
stamp, then recomputing the time gap between frames requires a subtraction
that can no longer be accurate. The step numbers are 64-bit integers and
obviously one can infer the time from the knowledge of the intended output
period, but most tools aren't implemented to be able to read the .tpr and
trust that it was the one that produced the output in order to make such
deductions.

Running analysis tools from a double-precision build of GROMACS might
alleviate some symptoms, but I've never tried it.

> None of the GROMACS analysis codes run without error and the
simulation finishes without error

Is there a specific problem you are having?

Mark