[gmx-users] Pulling ion across the bilayer-choosing pull_coord1_geometry

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Mar 1 13:46:11 CET 2019

On 2/28/19 2:09 PM, Javad Deylami wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> I have one general and one specific question about doing the pulling
> simulation.
> Can you let me know how I should choose pull_coord1_geometry among
> distance, direction, and cylinder? How can I distinguish these three
> geometries to use them in different systems? How can different choices
> affect the outcome (PMF curve)?

In principle, they can all be used to achieve equivalent results, though
the cylinder geometry is largely designed for membranes and is described
in detail in the manual.

> Which methos you recomment to pull a molecule acroos the bilayer? why?
>
> In my case, I want to calculate the permeability of ion in a specific
> bilayer. I faced this error: Can not have dynamic box while using pull
> geometry 'direction-periodic' (dim z)
> I found you already replied the similar issue: *"align the system such that
> you are pulling along z, in conjunction with semi-isotropic coupling and
> zero compressibility along z."*
> Can you explain how I should do that alignment in my pull code?

The alignment has nothing to do with the pull code. It means the initial
coordinates should be aligned such that your reaction coordinate is
coincident with the z-axis. For a typical lipid membrane, the membrane
normal is already aligned along z since the membrane is in x-y. Then you
just place your molecule of interest directly above the membrane.

-Justin

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall