[gmx-users] WG: WG: Issue with CUDA and gromacs

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 20:13:04 CET 2019

Szilárd

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 2:34 PM Tafelmeier, Stefanie <
Stefanie.Tafelmeier at zae-bayern.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Many thanks again.
>
> Regarding the tests:
> - ntmpi 1 -ntomp 22 -pin on
> >OK, so this suggests that your previously successful 22-thread runs did
> not
> turn on pinning, I assume?
> It seems so, yet it does not run successfully each time. But if done with
> 20-threads, which works usually without error, it does not look like the
> pinning is turned on.

Pinning is only turned on if mdrun can safely assume that the cores of the
node are not shared by multiple applications. This assumption can only be
made if all hardware threads of the entire node are used the run itself
(i.e. in your case 2x22 cores with HyperThreadince hence 2 threads each =
88 threads).

-ntmpi 1 -ntomp 1 -pin on; runs
> -ntmpi 1 -ntomp 2 -pin on; runs
>
> - ntmpi 24 -ntomp 1 -pinstride 1 -pin on; runs
> - ntmpi 24 -ntomp 1 -pinstride 2 -pin on; runs
>
> After patch supplied:
> - ntmpi 1 -ntomp 22 -pin on; sometime runs - sometimes doesn't*   ->
> md_run.log at :
> https://it-service.zae-bayern.de/Team/index.php/s/ezXWnQ2pGNeFx6T
>
>  md_norun.log at:
> https://it-service.zae-bayern.de/Team/index.php/s/wYPY7dWEJdwmqJi
> - ntmpi 1 -ntomp 22 -pin off; sometime runs - sometimes doesn't*   (ran
> before)
> - ntmpi 1 -ntomp 23 -pin off; doesn't work*  (ran before)
>
> - ntmpi 1 -ntomp 23 -pinstride 1 -pin on; doesn't work*
>
> - ntmpi 1 -ntomp 23 -pinstride 2 -pin on; doesn't work*  (ran before)

The suspicious thing is that the patch I made only improves the verbosity
of the error reporting, it should have no impact on whether the error is
triggered or not. Considering the above behavior it seems that pinning (at
least the patters tried) has no influence on whether the runs work.

Can you please try:
-ntmpi 1 -ntomp 11 -pin on -pinstride 1
-ntmpi 1 -ntomp 11 -pin on -pinstride 2
-ntmpi 1 -ntomp 11 -pin on -pinstride 4
-ntmpi 1 -ntomp 11 -pin on -pinstride 8
and
-ntmpi 1 -ntomp 22 -pin on -pinstride 1
-ntmpi 1 -ntomp 22 -pin on -pinstride 2
-ntmpi 1 -ntomp 22 -pin on -pinstride 4

And please run these 5 times each (-nsteps 0 is fine to make things quick).

Also, please use this patch
https://termbin.com/r8kk
The same way as you did the one before, it adds another check that might
shed some light on what's going on.

- ntmpi 24 -ntomp 1 -pinstride 1 -pin on; runs
> - ntmpi 24 -ntomp 1 -pinstride 2 -pin on; runs
>
> * Fatal error:
> Asynchronous H2D copy failed: invalid argument
>
> When compiling, the make check shows that the regressiontest-complex and
> regressiontest-essential dynamics fail.
> I am not sure if this is correlated?

It might be, please share the outputs of the regressiontests.

--
Szilárd