[gmx-users] Zsh completion behaves differently from bash completion

Lorenzo Gaifas lorenzo.gaifas at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 13:22:03 CET 2019

Dear gromacs users,

I recently tried for the first time to use gromacs in zshell, instead of
bash as I was used to. I very quickly realised that tab completion is
behaving differently than I expected.
When I write for example:
`gmx editconf'
and press tab, as expected a `-' is suggested, and I get suggestions for
all the possible options. However, If I write:
`gmx ediconf -f',
when I press tab, another `-' is added and again I get offered all the
options. In bash, instead, completion suggests possible filenames that
match the option.
Why is that? Can it be fixed and, if yes, how?

Best regards,
LG