[gmx-users] About densmap tool

Yasser Almeida Hernández yasser.almeida.hernandez at chemie.uni-hamburg.de
Wed May 8 16:48:48 CEST 2019

Hello,

I am working with a membrane protein inserted in a heterogeneous
bilayer, with different lipids at different ratios. I used gmx densmap
to obtain 2D maps of the lipids distribution, based in the PO4 group. I
use the command as following:

gmx densmap -s <str_file.gro> -f <traj_file.xtc> -n <index_file.ndx> -od
<densmap_lipid_X.dat> -unit nm-2 -bin 0.1

Attached is one example of one of my raw output maps.

According with the command-line reference: "The normalization of the
output is set with the -unit option. The default produces a true number
density. Unit nm-2 leaves out the normalization for the averaging or the
angular direction. Option count produces the count for each grid cell.
When you do not want the scale in the output to go from zero to the
maximum density, you can set the maximum with the option -dmax."

I am not sure if I am interpreting the results in a proper way.

1 - If "Unit nm-2 leaves out the normalization for the averaging or the
angular direction", what do the numbers in the output file actually mean?

2 - Are they the average in each grid point, along the whole simulation
time?

3 - It may sound as a silly question, but how does this command define
"density"?

Thanks in advance

Yasser

--