[gmx-users] TIP4P molecules stuck together

Michael Shirts mrshirts at gmail.com
Thu May 9 17:14:07 CEST 2019

If you have "unprotected" electrostatic sites (i.e. with nonzero repulsive
terms directly on top of the charge), then there will always be some
configurations with essentially infinitely negative energy.  For vanilla
MD, these are essentially impossible to reach kinetically at any reasonable
temperature or reasonable timestep, because the R^-12 of the neighboring
atoms creates such an enormously large barrier.  But with certain
accelerated sampling approaches, you can skip over the barrier, and access
these sites, which will either blow up the simulation, or get stuck
forever.  If you cap the forces, then weirder things will happen.  Is your
cap smoothly varying?  If not, then your dynamics on hitting the cap will
be unphysical.  How are the forces propagated into the energies (if grad U
=/= F, then weird non-newtonian physics will also happen).

> the forces on each atom are massive (on the order of 10^7).

What are the energies? Are they lower or higher than zero?