[gmx-users] gromacs.org_gmx-users Digest, Vol 181, Issue 45

Nidhin Thomas nidhin.thomas0624 at gmail.com
Mon May 20 18:00:15 CEST 2019

Dear Justin,

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply.

I ran another simulation with a larger box size with and without external electric field (field direction is Y-axis). I used anisotropic pressure coupling for both simulations. Water box without external electric field had fluctuation in the beginning but stabilized soon. The simulation continued without fail. However, the system with external electric field deformed continuously. System with EF fails once the dimension of the box vector (Y-axis) along the direction of electric field reduces below the minimum box dimension. The error message is copied below.

Fatal error:
The Y-size of the box (2.641246) times the triclinic skew factor (1.000000) is
smaller than the number of DD cells (2) times the smallest allowed cell size
(1.322000)

I feel that box is shrinking in the direction of applied electric field (Y-axis) like there is an external compressive stress applied in that direction. I do not understand how this type of a stress is generated in the system.

I have also shared link to an image that shows how the box vectors are changing with simulation time. When EF is applied, simulation fails in few picoseconds. But water box without EF did not fail.

Could you please help me understand why system with external electric field would behave different from water box without EF?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zu7vl2wr99sube2/Box%20vectors%20with%20and%20without%20EF.png?dl=0

Thanks,

Nidhin Thomas