[gmx-users] error of missing atoms due to an incorrectness in the .hdb file

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed May 22 23:06:42 CEST 2019

On 5/22/19 4:14 PM, Lalehan Ozalp wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to run a simulation with a protein involving a covalently bound
> FAD cofactor. I followed the steps provided on the website
> http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Adding_a_Residue_to_a_Force_Field
> and -I think- added the hydrogens in the .hdb file accordingly. While doing
> this, I specifically used the atom types that gromacs would recognize (I
> also added relevant .rtp and .itp file to the forcefield in the current
> working directory).
>
> However, several warnings and subsequently a fatal error occurs when I run
> pdb2gmx. I don't prefer using -missing option in this case as it'll
> probably give a wrong topology.
>
> How to come around this? Any help would be appreciated. I provide the
> warnings and the error message below; as well as the constitution of the
> hydrogens in the .hdb file:
> (.hdb file)
> FAD 6
> 2 3 H N2    CA  NC
> 3 4 HC CT CA CA
> 1      1      HC CA CA CT
> 1 1 H5 CQ NC CA
> 1 1 H5 CQ NA CT
> 1 1 HA CA CA CT

This entry cannot be correct, because the same atoms are defined in
multiple ways. Note that the .hdb file requires atom *names*, not types.
The errors listed below indicated you have 30 more hydrogens that are
unaccounted for. FAD is a big molecule, you have to include all the
hydrogens in the isoalloxazine, adenosine, and ribitol.

-Justin

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall