[gmx-users] Explaination of some terminology

Benson Muite benson_muite at emailplus.org
Wed May 29 17:57:22 CEST 2019

On 5/29/19 4:07 AM, Anh Vo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to GROMACS and there are some terms that I’m not very clear when
> reading GROMACS materials. I have looked them up and read more but I’m
> still confused. Please help me to clarify them.
>

>       - What is improper vs. proper dihedral?
>

>       - It is said that “If a dynamical system is ergodic, the ensemble
> average becomes equal to the time average”.
>
>         What does it means if a system is ergodic? Why does ensemble
> sampling becomes similar to time sampling if a system is ergodic?
Ensemble sampling becomes similar to time sampling because over a long
enough time period, all points in phase space are explored by an ergodic
system, thus instead of doing multiple simulations with the same global
average quantities (such as total system energy), one can do one long
simulation with the same global average quantity. Slightly more involved
explanation at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergodicity