[gmx-users] Calculating electron density profile of a lipid bilayer system

ABEL Stephane Stephane.ABEL at cea.fr
Fri May 31 12:24:32 CEST 2019

Hello

>> Could you please give an example on how to modify the number of electrons? Do I need to use the itp file?
As it is said in the gmx density -h

"The first line contains the number of lines to read from the file. There should be one line for each unique atom name in your system. The number of electrons for each atom is modified by its atomic partial charge."

So for instance, the CHARMM TIP3P atom have the following charges (according the itp)

     1         OT      1     TIP3    OH2      1     -0.834    15.9994   ; qtot -0.834
     2         HT      1     TIP3     H1      2      0.417     1.0080   ; qtot -0.417
     3         HT      1     TIP3     H2      3      0.417     1.0080   ; qtot  0.000

So in your electron.dat you should have for water,

3
OH2 = 7.166   ---> 8 -0.834
H1  = 1.417  -->  1 + 0.417
H2  = 1.417    --> 1 + 0.417