[gmx-users] Simulated Annealing General Procedure

Christian Blau blau at kth.se
Fri Nov 1 09:35:57 CET 2019

Hello Neena,

The outline you give appears reasonable for exploring peptide conformations. It is very hard to judge appropriateness
though without knowing what you are trying to learn from your system.

The unspecified position restraints might defeat the purpose of the simulated annealing if you keep too much of your
system fixed. It's good to prevent chirality changes however, and back-bone position restraints are the right choice if
you are interested in side-chain conformation changes.

If you are not tied to simulated annealing, but just want to explore your peptide conformations, the following methods
are also useful:

  - if you know the reaction coordinate that your are interested in, e.g., a distance between residues, an angle or
dihedral, then I suggest you try the "accelerated weighted histogram" (AWH) module. It may benefit your sampling a lot,
because it ensures in a near optimal way that your system visits all conformations along a given reaction coordinate,
e..g, all C-alpha - C-alpha distances between two residues in a given range

  - if you don't know the reaction coordinate, then Temperature-replica exchange for small peptide systems or flooding
with essential dynamics sampling might be useful.

Best,

Christian