[gmx-users] Ruuning MD simulation on laptop

Matthew Fisher matthew.fisher at stcatz.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 5 14:17:20 CET 2019

So the answer is yes, you can, but I'm not sure you should.

Assuming you have a mid to high end gaming laptop - say something like a i7-8750H with a Nvidia MaxQ 1070 (i.e. a Gigabyte Aero 15x or equivalent; I'm just going with what I have), you will get decent performance (I can get circa 80 ns / day with 2018.6 and a 60k atom system & I'm sure 2019/2020 will improve this). However, this will absolutely thrash the system, and your GPU and CPU temperatures will be near the limits very quickly (mine hit 85-90 C within a couple minutes).

Prolonged usage at those temperatures will damage your laptop and your CPU will be forced to throttle (which is going to lower performance); hence why I only ever use my laptop for things like setting up simulations, analysis and testing methodologies on toy systems.

For the sake of your own personal hardware, get a desktop. It'll cost a lot less, stay cooler (so will be around for longer) and will have faster components. As this paper shows; you really don't need to spend a lot at all: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/jcc.26011

Hope that helps,
Matthew