[gmx-users] gromos force field

Patrick Fuchs patrick.fuchs at univ-paris-diderot.fr
Wed Nov 6 01:06:22 CET 2019

Hi,
I'm coming late, but I may add a few words. The GROMOS force fields have
been parameterized with the GROMOS software using a twin-range cutoff
(0.8/1.4), but this option is no longer available in recent versions of
GROMACS. However, in a recent study
(https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jctc.8b00758), it was showed that using a
single range cutoff (rlist = rcoulomb = rvdw = 1.4 and nstlist = 1) +
reaction field (coulombtype = Generalized-Reaction-Field) together with
the group scheme for neighbor searching (cutoff-scheme=group, even if
this is deprecated since version 5.1, it is still usable) reproduces
results generated with the GROMOS software and FF. One other study on
lipids points to the same conclusion regarding the use of single range
cutoff (https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jctc.7b00178) as an alternative to
twin-range cutoff. That was also tested in this redmine issue:
https://redmine.gromacs.org/issues/1400. This solution increases
significantly the computational cost compared to former twin-range
cutoff, but it is probably the one which gives the closest results to
the original GROMOS FF.
Alternatively, it was found in a recent paper
(https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.jctc.8b00425) that it is possible
to use the Verlet scheme for neighbour searching with rvdw = 1.2 and PME
for electrostatics (with rcoulomb = 1.2 since it has to equal rvdw) as
an acceptable option to reproduce some liquid properties calculated with
the GROMOS software.
Regarding the remark about the GROMOS software, I'm not aware of any
"problems".
Best,

Patrick