[gmx-users] polymer & peptide interaction pbc, visualization problem

p buscemi pbuscemi at q.com
Thu Nov 7 22:41:41 CET 2019

I've run protein adsorptions on PE, PEO, nylon and the like. The way I approach such models is to first model the surface. Depending on if you want an "extruded" polymer or a cast surface will define how you restrain it. For most of my models - polymer strands of about 1000 atoms, and using about 100 strands in three layers, I restrain only the ends and only in the x direction to simulate an extrusion of a much larger molecule which is normally under stress. This lets the polymer blend in the z and y direction ( x-y surface plane ). Then proceed normally through NVT, NPT to a surface that looks and reacts as normal as an MM can do e.g. do H-bonds form in Nylon, ask if water beads on PE etc. When you feel that it is representative of the surface - add it to a library of surfaces. Then add the protein. Try to replicate https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3548063/ it will get you a long way toward your goal. You can add the protein much the same way the Kalp models are shown in the tutorials.

Hope this helps
Paul
UMN , BICB