[gmx-users] Magnetic effects in a classical force field

Christian Blau blau at kth.se
Tue Nov 26 17:48:40 CET 2019

Dear Yogesh,

This question strays indeed a bit from the forum topic though being valid. In short - the effect is too small to be
considered.

The interaction terms in a force field are usually developed as approximations to the the non-relativistic coulomb
molecular Hamiltonian operator. In this operator, the magnetic field is neglected as giving too little of a
contribution. This means that also related quantum effects like spin-orbit coupling are not taken into account. These
effects are vanish in relation to all other approximations during molecular dynamics simulations.

Best,

Christian