[gmx-users] Dummy atoms flopping everywhere

Raphaël Robidas raphaelrobidas at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 13:44:19 CET 2019

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion! I tried it and the benzyl isn't flopping
around uncontrollably, and I get much more reasonable FEP energies.

I am still wondering one thing: I used LigParGen to generate the hybrid
topology of my two ligands. I can see that it is morphing the atoms in the
benzyloxy group  to dummy atoms with mass 1.0080 (even carbon atoms):

[ atoms ]
;   nr       type  resnr    res   atom   cgnr     charge       mass
 typeB    chargeB      massB comments
     1   opls_800      1    A2B    H00      1     0.1293     1.0080
 opls_9855     0.0000     1.0080
     2   opls_801      1    A2B    C01      1    -0.1350    12.0110
 opls_9856     0.0000     1.0080
     3   opls_802      1    A2B    C02      1    -0.1431    12.0110
 opls_9857     0.0000     1.0080

Is this another technique of dealing with dummy atoms? All the relative
free energy perturbation tutorials I have seen use very small perturbations
(ex. substituants on aryls), so I am not sure exactly how to deal with this
larger change. Any help/pointers are greatly appreciated!

Best