[gmx-users] 回复: Re: Implicit Solvent and Box Size

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Oct 8 14:23:29 CEST 2019

On 10/7/19 10:40 PM, 张 卓 wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> I have tried implicit solvent without pbc or barostat. The box was not compressed but the molecules flew out of the box. I believe that it was because of nopbc box. Would you please give more information on why implicit solvent is used without pbc?

Because there's no need for it. In explicit solvent simulations, we use
PME for long-range electrostatics and that requires PBC. In implicit
solvent, there's no need (this is also a reason why implicit simulations
have intrinsic accuracy issues).

Beyond that, regarding your observations, there is no box. The molecule
is simply diffusing through space, which will happen in any simulation.
In a simulation with PBC, this has the effect of the molecule crossing
back and forth over borders ("jumping"), which simply doesn't happen in
your case.

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall