[gmx-users] shift in trajectory

Patel, Lara Anne lapatel at lanl.gov
Wed Oct 16 18:01:02 CEST 2019

There is a way to get around the mass being split across the simulation box IF your residue A's are all grouped together from the start.

First, run the gmx trjconv function with -pbc flag as none.  The trajectory produced will be spread out.  The index group selected should be for the whole of what you will be printing out in your final trajectory.

gmx trjconv -f traj.xtc -o traj1.xtc -pbc none -n index.ndx

Second run the gmx trjconv function with the -center command with an index file that has a group just for residue 'A'.  The index group selected for centering should be for residue A. The program will also ask for what group will be printed to the file (i.e. your system).

gmx trjconv -f traj1.xtc -o traj2.xtc -n index.ndx -center

Third run the gmx trjconv function with the -pbc flag for mol to get everything back within the periodic boundary conditions.  This will only ask for the group that should be printed.

gmx trjconv -f traj2.xtc -o traj2.xtc -n index.ndx -pbc mol

You might be able to combine the second and third steps but I find that it is easier just to do this in progressive steps.

Lara