[gmx-users] Problem on pbc atom

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Oct 21 18:52:17 CEST 2019

On 10/19/19 12:48 PM, Mahsa Rezaei wrote:
> Dear gromacs users,
> I am using following pull code in md simulation
> for pulling a ligand across the plasma membrane model.
> My size box is 8.52807   8.52807  14.00000.
> And the pull distance is less than one-half the length of the box vector
> along.pull distance is 6 nm.
>

> when I execute this command,I got warning:
>
> gmx grompp -f md_pull.mdp -c complex.gro -p topol.top -r complex.gro -n
> index.ndx -o pull.tpr
>

> WARNING 1 [file md_pull.mdp]:
>    Pull group 1 has atoms at a distance larger than 0.9 times half the box
>    size from the PBC atom (27119). If atoms are or will more beyond half the
>    box size from the PBC atom, the COM will be ill defined.
>
> Pull group  natoms  pbc atom  distance at start  reference at t=0
>         1     54231     27120
>         2         4         2      -3.769 nm         -3.769 nm
> Estimate for the relative computational load of the PME mesh part: 0.10
> This run will generate roughly 1238 Mb of data
>
> Fatal error:
> Too many warnings (1).
> If you are sure all warnings are harmless, use the -maxwarn option.
>
> What should I do?
> I would be very appreciated for your such kind helps.

The reference for determining periodic distances is simply the numerical
middle of the atom selection, which may not have any resemblance to the
geometric center. If your group(s) is(are) non-spherical in nature, you
need to select an appropriate atom for grompp and mdrun to compute the
periodic distances.

-Justin

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall