[gmx-users] Define intermolecular interactions in L-J simulation

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Oct 23 18:51:13 CEST 2019

On 10/23/19 12:22 PM, Li, Shi wrote:
> Dear GMX users,
>
> I am wondering if there is a way to define the intermolecular interaction
> to simulation a binary LJ system. For example, I have two atoms A and B,
> they share the same LJ parameter, and I want to change the interaction
> parameter between A and B, so that I would expect different behaviors from
> the simulation (mix or phase separation).
>
> I checked the manual and found this can be defined in the topology file as
> [intermolecular_interactions] and use the [pairs] interaction then list the

[intermolecular_interactions] are for bonded interactions and [pairs]
are for 1-4 interactions.

> atom pairs. But it is still confusing if I have a system containing 500 A
> and 500 B, how can I apply this to the entire binary system. I was
> assumed that I can use atomtype instead of atom number? But how and where
> to specify that?

It sounds like you want to override combination rules, in which case you
want [nonbond_params] to create an off-diagonal LJ interaction. A and B
need to be defined as different atom types but can have the same LJ so
A-A and B-B interactions obey the combination rule but A-B can be
whatever you want it to be.

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall