[gmx-users] strange structure after energy minimization

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Oct 27 13:52:15 CET 2019

On 10/27/19 7:42 AM, Albert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've performed a energy minimization in Gromacs 2018v4. The structure
> looked very strange after energy minimization:
>
> There is a big gap in the structure for residue 400-450, which is missing
> in the initial crystal structure. After energy minimization, gromacs
> connected residue 399 to 451 with a covalent bond. Here is a screenshot for
> the structure before and after the energy minimization:
>
> http://www.gpcrm.org/tmp/gmx/1.jpg
>
> I am just wondering how shall we solve this problem?

Build in the missing residues before trying to create the topology.
pdb2gmx probably warned you about a long bond when you generated the
topology; it will happily add bonds between any residues in the system
without any regard for missing intervening residues. You have to take
care of those somehow.

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall