[gmx-users] Creating distance restraints between two atoms of different molecules

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Oct 28 17:47:41 CET 2019

On 10/28/19 12:43 PM, Mustafa Tekpinar wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I am trying to put a distance restraint between two atoms of different
> molecules, such as DNA and RNA . I created an index file that contains only
> these two atoms. Then, I called gmx genrestr with this index file. Now, I
> have an itp file, which includes a distance restraint.
> However, I have two questions here:
>
>     1. In positional restraints, the atoms numbers refers to the numbers in
>     moleculetype section, not to the general gro file ordering. However, in
>     my itp file, the numbers refers to the gro file numbering for both of the
>     atoms. Is this correct?
>     2. Where should I call this itp file in my topology file?

You should use the pull code to employ the restraint. While you can
define [distance_restraints] under an [intermolecular_interactions]
directive at the end of the system .top file, it will limit you in terms
of domain decomposition and your run will be very slow. Use the pull
code to apply a biasing potential, instead.

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall

340 West Campus Dr.