[gmx-users] NVT equilibration of protein on membrane surface

Olga Press pressol at post.bgu.ac.il
Tue Oct 29 10:04:19 CET 2019

Prof. Lemkul thank you for your replay.
 I was inaccurate with my question, what I mean is: why does the "bubble"
phenomenon does not occur during the NVT equilibration in a system where
the protein is  embedded inside a *membrane*? (I observed this phenomenon
only when the protein is on the membrane surface).
Thank you so much for your help.
Olga

‫בתאריך יום ב׳, 28 באוק׳ 2019 ב-14:59 מאת ‪Justin Lemkul‬‏ <‪jalemkul at vt.edu
‬‏>:‬

> On 10/28/19 3:27 AM, Olga Press wrote:
> > Prof. Justin thanks so much for the explanation.
> > Why this phenomenon was not observed during the NVT equilibration when I
> > run a simulation of embedded protein?
>
> A protein alone in water is surrounded by an isotropic medium that does
> not exhibit the same differences (anisotropy) in forces that are
> inherent to membranes.
>
> > Do two equilibrations of NPT assemble, first with position restraint on
> the
> > protein (50ns) and second without restains (about 200ns) will be
> sufficient
> > to fix the problem?
>
> You should be able to resolve the bubble faster than that.
>
> -Justin
>
> > Thanks a lot
> > Olga
> >
> > ‫בתאריך יום א׳, 27 באוק׳ 2019 ב-20:45 מאת ‪Justin Lemkul‬‏ <‪
> jalemkul at vt.edu
> > ‬‏>:‬

> https://spaces.hightail.com/space/8l6z0Tncyv/files/fi-f3882907-6f37-4230-8c12-40b1f7b1ef22/fv-41ef812d-a030-412f-890f-677af406ebe6/on%20DOPC.JPG
> membrane.
> >> What you're observing is exactly what I was talking about. It's a bubble
> >> in the membrane, leading to the separation of the leaflets. This comes
> >> from in adequate water to fill the volume of the unit cell; the waters
> >> (which diffuse much faster than the lipids) rush to fill void space and
> >> equilibrate their density, but since the ensemble is NVT, the box cannot
> >> change size, leaving voids where the waters were. The lipids expand to
> >> fill the voids (the polar head groups are drawn to the waters more
> >> strongly than the lipid tails are held together) and you get a bubble.
> >> Continuing with a sufficiently long NPT relaxation will fix this.
> >>
> >> -Justin

> >> jalemkul at vt.edu

> >> for

> >> fit
> accuracy
> >> nm)
> (in
> ps
> >> temperature,
> >> bilayers

> >> system
> URL.

> but

> >> --
> >> ==================================================
> >>
> >> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
> >> Assistant Professor
> >> Office: 301 Fralin Hall
> >> Lab: 303 Engel Hall
> >>
> >> Virginia Tech Department of Biochemistry
> >> 340 West Campus Dr.
> >> Blacksburg, VA 24061
> >>
> >> jalemkul at vt.edu | (540) 231-3129
> >> http://www.thelemkullab.com

> [...]