[gmx-users] regarding rmsd calculaton

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Oct 31 11:05:17 CET 2019

On 10/31/19 6:02 AM, shakuntala dhurua wrote:
> thank you sir, by this gmx trjconv -center -pbc mol the two chains are
> coming closer but still rmsd result is high and fluctuating highly while
> taking two chain at a time. please suggest me to calculate resonable rmsd
> value for full protein

If you have very flexible regions, the RMSD value will be high. That's
not necessarily wrong. If you've corrected the imaging issue that led to
spurious increases in RMSD, this is the actual value. Whether or not it
makes sense to consider the dimer as a whole in RMSD is another issue,
but it depends on what you want to calculate and you need to be
judicious in your selections for fitting and calculation groups,
especially in the case of flexible termini or disordered regions.

-Justin

> On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 7:52 PM Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 10/30/19 9:39 AM, shakuntala dhurua wrote:
>>> i have generated trr file for a protein containing two chains .during the
>>> simulation two chains are going at two different sides of the box. so the
>>> RMSD results are abruptly high (near 35-40 angstrom). To create a image
>> of
>>> one chain at the same side of other chain,i used the following command by
>>> removing pbc
>>> try1. trjconv -s .tpr -f .trr -o .xtc -pbc mol -ur compact
>>> try2.trjconv -s tpr -f .trr -o .xtc -pbc nojump