[gmx-users] Simulate only one unit of the virus capsid while fixing its surrounding units

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Apr 7 16:29:56 CEST 2020

On 4/7/20 10:10 AM, ZHANG Cheng wrote:
> Dear Andre, Thank you for the advice. Can I ask,
>

> 1) Could you please clarify the concepts? I know "constraint" and "restraint" are two different things in gromacs. And "fix" is another term? How about "freezegrps"?

I would not use "fix" and "restrain" interchangeably. Fixing a quantity
means it cannot vary. With a restraint, movement is disfavored but not
prevented. Freezing is totally artificial and requires you to ignore
nonbonded interactions between the frozen groups.

> 2) It is okay that the computational time is not reduced, as now only several proteins are simulated. If I simulate all the several protein without any fixing, I worry they will lose their conformation. So fixing the neighbours and only focusing on the protein in the centre could be the solution.

Your approach assumes that the conformations of the proteins are not
dependent on their neighbors. I do not think that is a justifiable
assumption. If you simulate one protein freely and restrain its
neighbors, you're doing a glorified simulation of a crystal, which is
not reflective of biological reality for a virus capsid.

-Justin

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall