[gmx-users] Velocities from the .gro file

Mohamed Abdelaal m.b.abdelaal at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 01:40:45 CEST 2020

Many thanks for your reply 😊

The limitation in the generate velocity using the .mdp file, is that while
I can generate the velocity from Maxwell distribution,  I will have the
same velocities in the x, y and z directions.

On the other hand, generating the velocity from the .gro file will let me
specify different velocities in the x,y and z directions but they will be
the same velocities for all the atoms (will not be taken from a maxwell
distribution with variation in the atoms velocities).

Is it possible to generate different velocities in the x,y and z directions
from a maxwell distribution ? (for example the velocities to be taken from
a maxwell distribution with a mean of 0.1 in the x direction and with a
mean of 0.2 in the y direction and with mean of 0.3 in the z direction?)

Thanks for your help :)
Mohamed