[gmx-users] How to extend the force field by polariation parameters

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Apr 10 15:05:59 CEST 2020

On 4/9/20 8:06 PM, Zuzana Benkova wrote:
> Dear GROMACS users,
>
> I am trying to extend the CHARMM force field of graphene by polarization of carbon atoms. I need  to use the rigid rod dipole model, with a dipole on each
> carbon atom, with length of 0.7 A° combined with a charge of 0.1 e, which yields a polarization of 0.910 A°^3 (GRAPPA).
>
> Can you suggest me some literature where I can get some idea how to do it? In GROMACS manual, I have found Chapter  4.4. related to the polarization but it contains only information on  simple polarization, water polarization and Thole polarization and doesn't provide some hint how to extend a given force field.

If your model has a fixed length between the core nucleus and the
auxiliary particle, it's not a "polarizable" model because the dipoles
cannot relax/change length, therefore nothing related to polarization
options is relevant to you. You will have particles that are at a fixed
distance from their nucleus (e.g. via [constraints])

Assistant Professor
Office: 301 Fralin Hall
Lab: 303 Engel Hall

340 West Campus Dr.