[gmx-users] How to extend the force field by polariation parameters

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Apr 11 00:49:39 CEST 2020

On 4/10/20 6:44 PM, Zuzana Benkova wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> thank you for your answer.
> As I noticed, there is a model of Drude oscillators (shells) used in GROMACS to represent the polarization of atoms. However, there exists model of rigid rod dipole moment which, instead of oscillating distance between the core nucleus and the auxiliary particle, assumes rigid length between them.
> In this model, the virtual site has no van der Waals interactions, while it has a charge q and a mass m. Unlike the Drude oscillator, this rod a has a finite dipole moment = charge x length. Thus, it requires an orientational averaging (i.e., T > 0) to produce physically meaningful results. The rod involves three parameters: length, charge, and mass.The polarizability is (charge x length)^2/(3kbT) and the intrinsic time scale is given by (2kbT/(length^2 x mass)^0.5. Such a model has been already used. The authors carried out the simulations for graphene (GRAPPA FF) using GROMACS (Nanoscale, 2014, 6, 5438).
> I just wonder if I could adopt this model without changes in code by using virtual interaction sites.

No, Drude oscillators are not virtual sites, but you also do not need
any code changes, either.

If the study was published using GROMACS, you should contact the authors
and ask for sample inputs. But it should be rather simple to set this
up. I would argue this is not really a Drude model because the
atom-"Drude" length is fixed. While the dipole can reorient, it cannot,
by definition, oscillate if the length is constrained.

All you have are additional atoms. They carry charge, have mass, and
exist at fixed length from their parent atoms, which can be accomplished
with [constraints] for all the dipoles.

-Justin

> Thanks.
>
> Greetings